Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I have been having a email conversation with a man of strong faith and a former correctional officer who has great concerns about the evils being committed within the prison system. When he asked more about my own faith, I realized that perhaps I should post my response. Where I as the holder of this blog container for this Call to Prayer come from, might serve in some small way:
I am a Quaker, the nickname for the Religious Society of Friends, a Protestant denomination. We Quakers have a long history of prison reform and advocacy work. Our tradition's journey began because we were so often locked up as we rebelled against the Church of England in the 1600's declaring that the Light of God was available for all, in all, and no one class of people (priests for example) had an exclusive on communion with Jesus or the teachings of the Bible. 
In this time, our lobbyists at the CA and Federal levels are long-standing and earnest proponents of prison reform, well respected for their faith based advocacy (See FCL Friends Committee on Legislation and FCNL Friends Committee on National Legislation).
When I speak out about prisons and prayer, I seek to speak in a voice that people of all traditions can hear and sense how to apply the practices of their particular way of viewing the Holy, so we can act in consort, even as our prayers take on different language and forms.
So far I have not yet found a way to speak about the evil. My heart and jaw clench to the strangle hold that evil has (appears to have) on this most spiritually vulnerable* part of our human brotherhood. Evil on so many levels -- the evil of our society's abandonment and rejection of those who need healing most, the evil of the crimes, the evil of manipulation of the victims, the evil of stripping any healthy sense of purpose from those incarcerated, the evil of gaining from another's suffering, and on and on -- 
Still in my prayers, Christ guides me to seek the Light, to know that these are not his ways, to focus on increasing the Light through out the system and especially in societies turning away from seeing of the evil and perpetuating the story that only takes us collectively further towards "hell on earth".
When I am in a state of prayer, I feel so blessed and confident in this Call. Then I have times when I feel I am taking the "feel good" way, and avoiding the real need "to speak truth (of the evil) to power". I trust I will be taught, perhaps through conversations such as these, in a voice filled with Love.
May the blind see. May we not turn our heads any longer. May the Light of Christ flow through our hearts and voices. May the energy of evil in all times, places, people, and systems dissolve into the ocean of God's love. May we each do our part to enable this cross we bear collectively to be the opportunity for our collective resurrection.
* vulnerable spiritually, as most crime arises from an estrangement from God, not "Loving Thy Neighbor", not honoring the divinity of all life, acting out of a God-less sense of self.  When we live our lives from this isolated sense of ourselves, we are most vulnerable to the forces of evil, both as correctional officers and inmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment